Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Legalixa is an award-winning immigration law firm in Istanbul, Turkey with an exceptional success rate in almost every legal matter we have ever handled. Turkish Citizenship Questions and Answers. Our Turkish citizenship law attorneys are ready to inform you on Turkish Citizenship Application Documents for citizenship with investment.
We have in-depth information regarding how to prepare legal documents such as birth certificates and marriage licenses in each country. We also have signed collaboration agreements with immigration agencies in the US and other countries around the world.
Our Turkish citizenship lawyers represent our clients from the application at Istanbul Immigration Office until they get their Turkish Passport. Our Turkish immigration lawyers also represent our clients in other immigration law issues including; extending resident and work permits, applying for Turkish citizenship, and filing a lawsuit to cancel any objections.
Turkish Citizenship Questions and Answers
Turkish Citizenship with Investment Services
We do perform legal services for property purchase and management for foreign clients. Our services include preparation, legal help and representation regarding the sale or purchase of a real estate property in Turkey.
An English-speaking attorney will prepare your purchase and sale agreement to buy or sell an off-plan or second-hand house or apartment in Turkey. Our lawyer will advise you of any potential pitfalls, recommend specific changes that would benefit you, discuss or negotiate these concerns and changes with the other party, and accompany you to the Title Deed Office to close the transaction. Please see Turkish Citizenship Questions and Answers below.
Turkish Citizenship Questions and Answers
1. How many ways of obtaining Turkish Citizenship via exceptional procedures?
- who make fixed capital investment at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and for whom certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Industry and Technology,
- who purchase the immovable property at least 400.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and attached annotation at land registration not to sell this property for three years and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization,
- who employ at least 50 employees and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services,
- who invest at least 500.000 US dollars or its equivalent in foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold the amount of deposits for three years at banks operating in Turkey and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency,
- who purchase public borrowing instruments at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold these instruments for three years and for whom certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance,
- who purchase a real estate investment fund participation share or venture capital investment fund participation amount of at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold these participation shares for three-years and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Capital Market Board.
2. How does Turkish citizenship with the Turkish Property Investment application process work?
Foreigners can obtain Turkish citizenship by buying real estate whose total worth is more than 400,000 USD or equivalent.
- You must buy one or more real estate to achieve the 400,000 USD requirement.
- You can buy any kind of real estate (house, apartment, office, shop, or land) in any province of Turkey.
- You must get an official appraisal for each property.
- Each of the properties must be bought after September 19, 2018.
- You must sign a statement that you won’t sell the property for 3 years at the Title Deed Office.
3. Will my family get Turkish Citizenship?
Yes. You, your spouse (wife or husband), and your dependents (your children under the age of 18, on the application date) can get Turkish citizenship. Turkish law does not recognize same-sex marriages, polygamy, and other types of partnerships. So a spouse should be a person of the opposite sex and the couple should be legally married. If a male applicant has multiple wives, only one of them is eligible for Turkish citizenship.
4. If the property I buy is not worth 400,000 USD, can I buy several properties to fulfill the 400,000 USD limit?
You can buy several properties which have a total value of a minimum of 250.000 USD. The values declared at the sale at Title Deed Office and appraisal values should be consistent with that value.
5. How long does it take to become a Turkish citizen?
After the property is bought and the application is filed, it takes between 3 to 6 months to get Turkish citizenship and a Turkish passport. The Turkish Government is doing its best to reduce time.
6. Can I buy a commercial property with rental income and get Turkish Citizenship with investment?
Yes, any property you buy is eligible for citizenship. You can rent the properties to someone else. The only restriction is you cannot sell for three years.
7. It looks like it is complicated to apply for and get Turkish Citizenship. Can I get assistance with this process?
Legalixa Law Firm offers full services until you get a Turkish Passport. We work with real estate agents from all provinces of Turkey to find the best residential or commercial property as per request.
8. I do not have time to come to Turkey. How can I get Turkish Citizenship?
If you give us power of attorney, we can follow up with the complete process. (Buy the real estate for you, get the appraisal report, transfer the title to your name, give the statement to Title Deed Office, and file all documents for your application.)
9. How many people can apply for Turkish citizenship with one Title Deed?
Only one person can apply for Turkish citizenship, his/her spouse and dependents are also eligible with this application.
10. I bought the property in Turkey previously. May I apply for citizenship now?
Title deed applications at Property Register Office after 20.09.2018 may obtain Turkish citizenship by a real estate investment of 400,000 USD. Before this date, the minimum value was 1,000,000 USD.
11. Which nationalities may apply for a Turkish passport?
All foreigners who are allowed to buy property in Turkey by Turkish law may apply for Turkish citizenship by investment.
12. Do I get a Residence Permit when I file the citizenship application?
A residence permit (no:6458/31-J) is granted to you, your spouse, and your dependents.
13. Is it possible to have dual nationality in Turkey?
Yes, Turkey allows dual nationality, as long as your original country allows it. If you are a citizen of a country that does not allow dual citizenship, you need to forfeit your original citizenship. But if your original country allows dual citizenship, you can have dual citizenship.
14. Does the applicant need to reside in Turkey prior to and during the application process? What are the detailed requirements?
No, there is no need for the applicant to reside in Turkey, the applicant should give us power of attorney to follow up on procedures and file a citizenship application. The PoA can also be given to purchasing a property on behalf of the client.
15. What are the main investment options?
1) USD$ 400,000 in property
2) USD$500,000 in a fixed bank deposit
3) USD$500,000 in fixed capital investment.
I would suggest options 1 and 2. We have filed several citizenship applications with property purchases and many for bank deposits. Bank deposit is easier to full fill in, however not many people have 500,000 USD.
16. What’s the general time frame for the application?
For option 1, the property purchase process takes some time, for option 2, depositing money and getting the approval takes about 1 week and we can file the residency application first. The whole process should take between 4-6 months.
17. Do you help clients choose the corporate entity to invest in for the capital investment option? Yes, we help clients to open bank accounts
If you choose the real estate option, it is better to travel to Turkey to view the property, but in theory, do they need to be in Turkey for purchasing the property?
It is better for them to be here to see the property, once they decided to buy, they can give us PoA to follow up property purchase and complete the whole procedure. So, they can come to see the property and give us PoA and can go back to their country in a couple of days.
18. Do you have some contacts from the local real estate developers that you can introduce to us?
Yes, we have companies that work together.
19. As for the bank deposit option, which bank do you work with?
We have access to several banks, clients have some banks in their minds. There are government banks, and private banks, and interests vary. It is important to find banks with English-speaking staff, we can help you. Banks will not request information regarding the source of the funds from their clients.
20. Regarding fees for citizenship application
Health insurance premiums: It varies and depends on the age, sex, weight, height, etc. and around 500 TL, visa fee (460 TL), official appraisal fees for property purchase is around 1,500 TL, notary and translation fees around 1,500 TL, fee for residency permit = 426.54 TL, document fee = 89. TL.
21. Can I keep my money in Dollars when choosing the bank deposit option?
No, your money must be converted to Turkish Lira (TL) and can be invested in TL interest-bearing accounts or Turkish Government Bonds for 3 years. Please review the attached Presidential Decree showing the change. We assist you to open an account called “Yuvam” and you can get dollar protection plus a %8 annual yield on your investment for 2 years.
Required Documents For Turkish Citizenship Application
- Application form (Vat-4)
- Passport or ID card that shows his/her nationality. If he/she is stateless approved documents with Turkish translated certified by the notary.
- Consent letter (taken from a notary or the related officer in domestic, if abroad external representation or from the authorized offices from his/her country) for the children who are under their mother’s/father’s custody and applying for citizenship.
- Marital status document and if married marriage certificate, if divorced divorce certificate, if widow/widower death certificate.
- The birth certificate shows personal information or a population register sample document, and if married, a family registration certificate that proves the family bond between his/her spouse and children.
- Service charge receipt from finance cashier desk.
- 2 biometric photographs (50×60 mm, white background, machine-readable, plain set by ICAO).
Reach us for Turkish Citizenship Questions and Answers
Since its foundation in 1992, Legalixa Turkish Citizenship Lawyers have been the choice of numerous clients in Istanbul, Turkey. Thanks to its nationally recognized immigration law practice, our firm is now one of the leading Turkish citizenship law firms in Istanbul, Turkey.